Wednesday, May 9, 2007

You're Probably Wondering....

Yes, I made it to Greece. I'm missing the convenience of the Internet cafe of Ali Bey in Turkey. I've had trouble finding a wireless connection, plus I've been soaking up the sights, smells and sounds of Rhodes and now Kardamena. I arrived in Rhodes as scheduled on Monday. It was a fairly uneventful trip. I've discovered that even if you don't know what you're doing, act like it, read signs and don't be afraid to ask questions. My second cousin, Eleas, met me at the airport and dropped me at the hotel I'm staying in just outside of Old Town Rhodes. He then later picked me up on a motor bike (no cars allowed in Old Town) where I spent the rest of the day walking around checking things out. I was pretty tired from my journey, having had no sleep in almost two days. I was early to bed on Monday night and yesterday I spent the entire day in Old Town walking all the shops and going through the Grand Master Palace. Mom will be happy I did my first cultural thing. I so much more enjoy watching and being around the people. Last night Eleas took me to his home, again on the motor bike, and I met cousins from second to fourth. Wow! Picture my Big Fat Greek Wedding...lots of people talking in Greek and me sitting there understanding none of it, but feeling like I belonged! It was awesome. Today I caught an early ferry boat to the island of Kos, where I then found the city bus station and took an hour long bus ride to the town of Kardamena. Here is where our family has a house a few blocks from the beach, which I'm staying in until Friday. Then back to Rhodes and leaving on Saturday to head back to the States. I can tell already this is a place I will be returning to sooner rather than later! I'll try to post again before I leave, but if not know I'm having a great time!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that you are having a great time. Next time Lance and I are going to join you. Well, maybe Lance will have to stay at home.