Thursday, May 10, 2007

Leaving Kardamena

I'm off on a bus today at 2 to head back to Kos Town. Hopefully, I can spend the afternoon there, then catch a late ferry back to Rhodes. I'm starting to feel a little run down. I think all the excitement and adrenaline is wearing down, probably because I know the end of my trip is fast approaching. Kardamena has been great. I saw the church where my grandparents were married. My second cousin, Stergos, took me around today to see family property that has been passed on to me, my brother and three other cousins. He also shared stories of our family history here and how influential my Yiayia and Papou's (Greek for grandmother and grandfather) families were to the villages. Being able to experience first hand a life that I'd only heard about has been wonderful. I will feel sad leaving, but I know this will not be my last trip to Greece. There is so much more to see and do.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Myke,

How wonderful!!! I can see it now - walking through the old town and connecting with your 'roots'.

We're so pleased for you and can't wait to hear your stories when we're back at the Dunes.

Creating a blog for your trip was a brilliant idea. Thanks for sharing your experience.

R&C, Deep River

PS - Now that you're a world travel, remember Canada isn't that far away. You're always welcome.

Anonymous said...

I hate that your trip is coming to an end but it was an experience of a lifetime. Lance told me that he did save many sloppy kisses for you and that we are all excited about your return home.

Anonymous said...

I HAVE TRULY ENYOYED EXPERIENCING YOUR ADVENTURE VICARIOUSLY THRU BLOGGING. YOU HAVCE ADDED ALOT TO YOUR TENNIS ABILITY AND YOUR HEART.TRAVEL SAFELY, AND I LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOUR EAR TO EAR SMILE SOON. ANN C

Anonymous said...

Hi Kiddo,

We have been with you all of the way - can't tell you how happy we are for you - can't wait to see your pictures - hope to see you this summer - The KCs

Unknown said...

Many thanks to you, Myke for making us a part of this great adventure. You have done an incredible job of including so many interesting personal notes as well as making us feel as though we were right there cheering you on during the matches.
Have safe travel and may God bless you.
I am looking forward to seeing you again soon!
Julia