Friday, May 11, 2007

Some Final Thoughts

My last night in Rhodes. I just returned from a late dinner with Eleas in Old Town. Or should I say feast. It was just the two of us. I met him at his shop at 9:30 pm, and again for those who know me well, that might as well be 3 in the morning. We went to a great little spot and he asked what I wanted. I hadn't had moussaka yet, so that's what I requested. Little did I know before the moussaka arrived there would be Greek salad, garlic bread, meatballs, saganaki (fried cheese),tatziki, stuffed mushrooms, wine, and then moussaka. Probabaly more food than I've consumed in the last week combined! Needless to say it was all wonderful. The atmosphere, the company, the conversation....it was all just great. I waddled out, hopped on the back of his motor bike for a ride back to my hotel. I insisted on taking a taxi to the airport tomorrow, which he very reluctantly agreed to let me do. I promised I'd let him know if I had any problems. We said our goodbyes, wistfully for me, and away he went. Again, these are memories of a lifetime for me. I'm all packed and ready to head home.

No comments: