Thursday, May 3, 2007

The Longest Day

I was excited about the upcoming day, getting to play the #2 seed. Noon couldn't get here fast enough for me. I warmed up twice yesterday, once in the morning and again right before I went on. I knew this girl hit big shots, but would get on a roll of missing too. She started banging winners, but I hung in and didn't get discouraged. She broke and won the first set 6-4. The second set I found a better groove, started mixing some balls around, some topspin, some slice. She also started missing a few more. I was able to get a break and win the second set 6-3. I was really pumped up through the whole match. The USA players are really good at watching and supporting each other when they're not playing. Marianna, my roomie and doubles partner was cheering me on, as was my new friend from the men's 55's team, Phil Landauer from Ohio. The third set was so close and so tight. The points were unbelievable. I moved well and kept telling myself that "I had to believe"! I knew this was my chance. I got off to an early break in the first game, then she broke me back. She then went up 3-1. I broke back to get to 3-3. She held to go up 4-3. We had a long hard game on my serve and she broke me to go up 5-3. I broke back to get to 4-5. I had an add to even it up to 5-5 but couldn't convert. After holding off 2 match points she won 6-4 in the third. I'd be lying to say I wasn't disappointed about the loss, but on the other hand I know I left it all out on the court and have no regrets about the way I played. I made it to the quarters of my first Worlds. I say first, because now I plan to return and do even better. I can compete with the worlds best players in my age group! After my 3 hour singles match, I had to get phyched for doubles. Marianna and I were playing two tough girls from Great Britain and Germany. After being up a break in the first set, we dropped the set in a tiebreaker, 7-5. We fought back and won the second set 6-3. Once again I faced another must win third set. Our points were fun, fast action doubles points throughout the entire match. We battled to the bitter end and come up short, losing 6-4 in the third. It was an exhausting day. I felt a little let down because the tennis was over for me. I was playing so well, I wanted to keep going. It only makes me hungry to return and do better next time. My training on and off the court has paid huge dividends for me. Now I can relax, watch some great tennis, and maybe catch an ancient ruin or two before heading off to Greece on Monday.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

The girls and I are so proud of you! Just relax and have a good time the rest of the way!! M

Anonymous said...

Myke-Great job-you represented the good ole USA very well-now relax and we'll see you in a couple of weeks-Bill

Unknown said...

Hey Myke,
During my early coaching days, I remember the statement that "if winning is everything and you lose, you have nothing, but if in losing you learn at least one thing, it is not a loss." You have honored us to know you and cheer you on. And, it sounds like you gained so much by competing so well.
Thank you for making us feel so much a part of this exciting adventure!
Enjoy Greece and the rest of your trip.
Looking forward to seeing you and hearing more.
Julia

Anonymous said...

Myke, you did a great job representing the USA. Enjoy the rest of the ride and eat something besides pizza the rest of the trip. I know your Greek relatives will take care of that! Love, G & B

Anonymous said...

We knew you were one of the greatest and now you know that for yourself. Congratulations on a super run. I know your mom was playing every point with you, even though she couldn't be there. All of us here at home are so very proud of your accomplishments.

pg

Mary Lu said...

Myke - what an awesome run you've had at these two tournaments! We're incredibly proud of you both for how hard you worked to get there and for your great performance on the court. You are one of a very few who can say - I made it to the quarters of my first Worlds. I know they haven't seen the last of you!! Now, go and kick up your heels a bit before coming home to us.
Love, Mary Lu

Anonymous said...

E, the boys and I are all very proud of you. What an incredible experience. Next year I will be there 2 cheer u on!
ur luv'n bro

Anonymous said...

Lance says have a great time and enjoy every minute but he really really misses you. He told me that he is being shorted on treats and he is excited to show you his new trick. He also wanted to know if there is any good wine in turkey. He likes red the best.

Anonymous said...

Myke, we can't imagine how wonderful this experience has been for you! We are really so very proud of you and the other girls for representing the USA as well as you did. I guess we don't need to tell you to enjoy the rest of your journey because we know you will. Love, The KCs

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic tournament!! Dave and I are so proud of you!!! Have a wonderful time in Greece!! The food there is really good!!!!Thanks for letting us share your experiences through the "blog" I loved reading your comments every day!!!
Cheers, The Teeds