Saturday, April 28, 2007

A Day of Rest

We had all decided that we'd get an easy practice in this morning, just to stay sharp then spend the day cheering on the American men. The 55's had a final against Australia. They split the singles, so it once again came down to the doubles. Unfortunately the Aussies were too much and won the doubles in straight sets. The 45's won their playoff against France to take third. We all feel like we represented our country well. We would have loved to have brought home more gold, but all things considered, we faired pretty well. The medal awards and closing ceremonies came at the conclusion of the last match played. It was an awesome experience to march into center court with the French and Netherlands teams to accept our medals. Mary had the quote of the day when she leaned over and said "this is the difference between third and fourth place". Had we lost to Great Britain, we'd have been on the sidelines watching the awarding of the medals with everyone else! The draws have been made for the individuals and I'm seeded 6th and think I play on Monday. I'm counting on some of the other girls to tell me who's who, because I no nothing about most of these players. Some of them, but not all, played here this week. I don't know yet about the doubles draw. There is a web address that I am putting on this post that you can go to and see the actual draws. I'm connected using a Turkish Internet connection, so the actual layout to my blog that I see on my computer is all in Turkish. You may be able to click on the link below to get there, or you may have to manually enter the address. I'm feeling lucky that I have been able to navigate around the language barrier and make the daily posts work! I'll post again once I get settled in Manavgat.
ITF website for individual draws: http://www.92computing.com.au/catseniors07/cat.htm

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful experience for you! No matter what happened it will live in your memory as a true life-altering event. Eat the food, dance to the music, enjoy everything!
Loretta

Anonymous said...

Everything sounds wonderful. There is a location at the ITF Seniors website that has all the Cup matches for all the different divisions. I'll check out the individual draw sites as well. You might be able to check thru the Cup match results and see some of potential opponents for next week. Good luck and again, I'm so proud of you and all the others.